Pages

Thursday, February 21, 2013

"The Green Monster" Smoothie Test

I've been in smoothie mode lately. 

Hubs and I got a Magic Bullet for a wedding, and it's done nothing but take up a magnitude of space in our pantry. It seriously comes with ten parts. Instead of putting my frustration in the fact that it takes up so much vital space, I figured I might as well use it. I've tried a few typical smoothie combinations: strawberry/banana, blueberry, regular strawberry. They've all been quite tropical and sweet. Just the way I like it. 

Since I've had the time to go to the gym 4-5 days out of the week here lately, I figured I put my work to good use by trying to eat semi-okay. That's when I pinned "THE GREEN MONSTER."



Here's Iowa Girl Eats recipe:
1 frozen sliced banana
1 Tablespoon peanut butter
1/2 cup 0% Vanilla Chobani Greek yogurt
1 cup Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Breeze (or other kind of milk)
4 cups baby spinach (or more, or less)

It's packed with super foods, and she claimed that you couldn't taste the spinach. PA-LEASE! I needed to test it out for myself. 

So I threw the ingredients in my Magic Bullet this morning. I changed up the recipe a little bit just because I didn't have soy milk or vanilla Greek yogurt.

So my recipe looked a little like this:
1 frozen sliced banana
1 TBS peanut butter
1/3 cup Plain Greek Yogurt
1/2 cup Skim Milk
A couple handfuls of spinach
Half a packet of Stevia (A new favorite!)


She is definitely right when she says that you can't taste the spinach. I'll just be honest, the first few sips were hard to swallow. It wasn't my typical tropically sweet smoothie, but it wasn't awful. It tasted more like a peanut butter banana smoothie. Will I make it again? Ohhh....maybe...maybe not. But I do feel good about the nutritional facts:

350 calories, 10g fiber, 21g protein 

Okay, now don't go thinking I'm a health nut, or that I eat like this everyday. I popped a handful of M&Ms right after I washed out my smoothie cup. 

I have REALLY good intentions. That's gotta count for something, right?






No comments:

Post a Comment