Pages

Monday, March 18, 2013

Buttery Honey Sandwich Bread

*Keep reading for some exciting news.

I'm not a very emotional, touchy-feely, mushy-gooshy, let's all hug kind of person. I never have been, but that doesn't mean I'm incapable of loving someone. I just express this love in other ways.

After 9 months of marriage, Patrick and I are realizing how we give and receive love as individuals. It's not something I thought too much about before being married, but after some trial and error (which has been the first 9 months of our marriage) we're beginning to pick up and reciprocate this "love language" that we each distinctively have.

For example, I love to cook, so preparing a meal for my husband doesn't feel like an obligation, it's me showing him that I love him. On the other hand, Patrick knows that this "acts of service" is the way I give and receive love, so he'll clean the apartment on the weekends, take out the trash, and do the dishes. All in which he obviously doesn't enjoy (who does?), but it shows me how much he loves me by doing these things. Like I mentioned earlier, I'm not a touchy-feely person, so I'm not the kind of girl who needs the kiss good-bye or  a two hour cuddle session on the couch. For goodness gracious, just pick up after yourself! I promise I have a heart.

Okay, sorry about the rant. I just wanted to set up what I've been working on lately. I've had an itch to bake bread for a while now, so I finally decided to...you've got it...scratch this itch of mine. Due to my love showing tendency, I pack the hubs lunch every night. Even if we have the best left overs waiting to be devoured in the fridge, he'll say, "I just want a sandwich." In my mind, I'm thinking, "How boring!" "Don't you get tired of the same thing EVERYDAY?" But I grab the loaf of bread and carry on. Doing this 5 days a week, plus a sandwich or two on the weekends add up. After noticing how much bread we go through, that's when I said, "Enough is enough. I'm making my own!"

I searched and searched for just the right recipe, and I finally found one that was adaptable. Drool over this...


The bread is oh-so-yummy with some honey baked deli ham and a slice of American cheese, or a big spoonful of chicken salad (recipe coming soon), or just however you prefer your sandwich. I can now understand why the hubs wants a sandwich for lunch EVERYDAY.

This recipe yields 3 loaves, so after the first rise, wrap the loaves in plastic wrap and put them in a freezer bag. When you're ready for the next loaf, set it out to thaw (2 hours). Then form into greased loaf pan and let rise before baking. Since the dough is cold, it will take the yeast several hours to rise (about 4-5), so be patient!

I adapted this recipe from http://www.thebakerupstairs.com/2013/01/honey-wheat-sandwich-bread-with-orange.html

Okay, you've kindly been scrolling long enough. So for the good news: I'm a housewife no more!

After a long, maddening job search, I've finally found a great job. Last week, I started at an early intervention day care for kids with special needs. It's going to be a challenging, but I thank God for providing a rewarding job for me to spend my time while in Maine.



No comments:

Post a Comment