Pages

Monday, March 11, 2013

Moist Chocolate Chip Banana Bread


I'm an addict of two things: bargains and chocolate. When you mix those things together, this is what you get...


The most moist, chocolaty, banana-y? banana bread ever. 


Before I reveal the recipe, I want to give you a tip. I love buying in bulk and freezing foods. It just makes sense if it's a food you eat regularly. And let me tell you, the hubs and I go through some bananas. Recently, I've found myself going to the store at least once a week for bananas, so when I saw a three pound bunch of bananas for around $1.60 at Sam's, I knew I had to stock up. Without thinking much about it, I threw one of the bunches in the freezer. I peeked in the freezer a couple hours later and this is what I found.



Black bananas. 

After my endless research on the art of banana freezing, I found out that it's totally okay to freeze whole bananas. It's normal for them to turn black/brown pretty quickly, and the inside is fine to eat once you thaw them out. But before you go freezing your bananas, just know the texture is not so appetizing. 




Don't you wanna just dig your spoon into that mush? 


Okay, sorry about the indecent photo. Though a normal person wouldn't eat the remains of a frozen banana, they're great for baking. So, that's just what I did. 



If you're more a visual person, as I am, here's a quick run through of what the process should look like. 


Sifted dry ingredients


Mixed wet ingredients.




Ready to rise.
Easy enough, right? 

Don't let the red chips fool you. The Valentine's chocolate chips were on clearance at Target. They're just plain ol' semi-sweet chocolate chips.


This recipe was adapted from Foodie Crush.



2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar

3/4 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon table salt
3 bananas, very ripe and mashed well (about 1 1/2 cups)
1/4 cup plain greek  yogurt
2 large eggs, beaten lightly
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled (I used salted and it turned out just fine)
1 1/2  teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips



  1. Preheat oven to 350 and grease and flour all sides and bottom 9''x13'' loaf pan.
  2. Mash bananas in a bowl; set aside.
  3. Sift all dry ingredients together. (Flour, sugar, baking soda, salt)
  4. In a medium bowl, mix mashed bananas, yogurt, eggs, butter, vanilla, and chocolate chips together. 
  5. Gently fold wet ingredients and dry ingredients. Don't over mix because it will result in a dry, tough bread.
  6. Scrape mixture into loaf pan and sprinkle sugar on top. This gives the bread a sweet crunch. 
  7. Bake for 50-60 minutes. It's done when an inserted knife or tooth pick comes out clean. 

It tastes best warm, so we just heated a piece in the microwave for a few seconds and enjoyed with a cup of coffee or milk. I hope you enjoy it as well.



No comments:

Post a Comment