Pages

Thursday, March 14, 2013

Rocker Re-Do + Walter Action

Since starting a blog about a month ago, I've learned so much. I went into this blindly with the only experience being a high school web design class, and I can hardly remember what I learned in college so just imagine what I remember from high school. I've spent most of the last couple days researching different blogs and recreating my own. I could seriously do this all day, but tomorrow starts a new journey (more on that later).

For today, I decided to share a little before and after for ya.

Patrick and I went into this marriage with very little furniture, which was good considering we moved into a small space. One piece that we did have, thanks to the Horton's, was a good, solid rocking chair. It was a great piece, and I was very thankful for it, but it just didn't fit with the rest of our stuff. So I figured I'd give it a little face lift.



This was one of the first projects I tackled after we got married. All I did was try to sand all of the varnish off using a small electric sander, then spray paint it with the my favorite spray paint, Krylon. After two coats of paint, I took my handy electric sander and went to town. I wanted to give it a distressed, broken-in look, which I feel as though I accomplished. Honestly, I rarely even sit in this chair because the couch is much more comfortable to the tush, but it makes for nice eye candy. 

FYI: the pillow was a dollar yard sale find and the blanket was a nice hand-me-down from Grandad. Both makes me oh so happy.



As I was trying to get a good picture of the rocker, I captured this Walter moment. He was leashing out his feline frustration on his scratching post. I've already hot glued the twine back on the post once, so this doomawhatchie has definitely seen better days. It's obviously his favorite thing in the apartment, thank goodness. Imagine if this was the arm of our couch or leg of our table. Thanks to the Now Your a Cat Owner DVD that we patiently sat through when we first adopted Walter, we knew to redirect his scratching behavior to a cat scratching mechanism (that's what I call them at least) as a kitten. It paid off. 

Next project: re-glue twine so that I don't have to continuously sweep up the remnants of the mangled cat scratching mechanism.


1 comment:

  1. Looks great! I'm really digging the weathered look, it makes it look loved! And how cool that it's sentimental too. Great work!

    ReplyDelete